Liczba wyświetleń

TEACHERS OF ENGLISH, ARE YOU POLYGLOTS?


As teachers of English we all know the subject very well, we can speak, write and understand English. But unfortunately it is easily forgotten how it feels to learn a new language.

How boring it can be to learn a list of words or to use a grammatical rule in speech. For that reason it could be interesting to start learning a new foreign language to feel the process and work out new techniques that work for you and that might work for your students too.


I'm making a kind of experiment. I started learning a new foreign language for me, which resembles a bit English and German that I know, but the pronunciation is absolutely tough. It's Norwegian. First, I want to remind myself of the process, how it is to learn a language anew and second, I enjoy the language and my cherrished dream is to visit this country one day. And this is what I have found out trying to learn the language:

1. It really works to use flashcards. Stick them on different articles of furniture at home and you will associate the word or sentence with the deffinite object. By the way it's a well-known mnemonic technique.
2. There are a lot of native speakers on youtube who teach their language. You can watch, repeat and listen to the way they speak.
3. There is a site with learners who want to find a penpal to practice the language. I find this idea absolutely fantastic. Find a penpal here.

I'm sure, there are people who will say "What for learn any other language than English?'' Everyone knows it. I cannot but agree. Nevertheless, I believe it's good to develope yourself and if it's enjoyable, then why not give oneself a reason to enjoy what you are doing, feel harmony and feel yourself in the place of your students.

Moreover, it's becomming a common thing that people speak more than one foreign language nowadays. Two, three, up to 5 languages is becoming a norm. People are travelling or changing their place of living and are more eager to know the language of the country they are staying in to integrate well into the society.
And how many languages can you speak?
Here you can read about a fantastic film for English teachers.
SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment